According to the 2011 Social Media Marketing Industry Report,
- 58% of marketers spend six or more hours per week on social media marketing activities
- Those who have been using social media to market their businesses spend more time on social media marketing activities
- and the amount of time spent on social media marketing activities increased as businesses saw the value of the time spent increasing.
One of the most common questions asked by people getting started in social media marketing is how much time they should spend on it.
The amount of time spent on social media marketing varies for each individual based on goals.
While I can’t definitively answer this question, I can give you a strategy for maximizing the time you spend on social media marketing.
So, how do you make the most of the time you spend on social media marketing?
1. List the social media marketing tasks that need to be completed
Divide your list of social media marketing tasks into four categories: technical tasks, routine tasks, relationship building tasks, and content development tasks.
Once you have the tasks listed and categorized, determine the frequency with which they need to be completed and how long it will take to complete each task (or how long you want to spend on each task).
Use this information to calculate the percentage of time you should spend on each of the four types of social media marketing tasks.
2. Schedule a set amount of time daily to complete social media marketing tasks
Using your list as a guide, decide how much time you want to spend on social media marketing tasks daily. You should set aside at least 30 minutes a day. Divide the time based on the percentage of time you should spend on the four types of social media marketing tasks.
Go back to the list you created and prioritize the tasks within each category. Use the prioritized list and a timer to guide the time you spend on social media marketing.
3. Use tools to help maximize the time you spend on social media marketing tasks
Don’t use tools for the sake of using tools, but seek out tools that will help you complete your social media marketing tasks more efficiently.
The website oneforty is an awesome place to start your search for tools that might help you streamline your social media marketing tasks.
4. Delegate or outsource routine and technical tasks
A lot of tasks that are routine or technical take a lot of time to complete. If you can, you should allow someone else to complete them. By doing this, you can spend your time on the tasks that will grow your online reputation.
How much time do you spend on social media marketing? Do you have a strategy to help you use your time effectively and efficiently? I would love to hear from you. Just drop me a comment below.
Photo Credits: lett -/\=